The Criminal Division is responsible for the indexing, processing and maintaining of felony and misdemeanor criminal appeal cases, including the indexing and processing of traffic appeal cases and collecting court costs. The plaintiff in criminal cases is the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the individual charged with the offense is the defendant. The Criminal Division handles cases that have been certified to grand jury or transferred by a judge for trial in Circuit Court.
Information on how to request copies can found here. We do not accept requests by email.
Virginia Criminal Record Check
Criminal History Records Checks are handled by the Virginia State Police. Visit their site for more information. Our office does not perform background checks.
Click on titles below to expand for more information:
Rockingham County Circuit Court Case Search
Case information for our court can be found on the Virginia Judicial System's Circuit Court Case Information site. Select Rockingham County Circuit from drop-down menu to start your search.
Statewide Search - Online Case Information System 2.0
Online access to a statewide search of criminal and traffic case information in general district courts and select circuit courts. Note: Payments cannot be made using this system. Click to begin search:
Case Alert Subscription System (CASS)
The Case Alert Subscription System (CASS) is a court case event update service that enables users to receive email and text message updates related to cases in the trial courts of Virginia for which case information is available through OCIS 2.0. There are no fees charged to use CASS.
Updates received through CASS are not intended to be, and are not a substitute for, the official record or legal notice of a court event. CASS is a courtesy reminder service. Users should independently verify court event dates, times, and locations. The data used by CASS may not include recent case updated. OES disclaims any responsibility or liability for any errors, omissions, or inaccurate information.
Our criminal and civil records including all scanned (non-sealed) images are available online via the Officer of the Court Remote Access (OCRA). The service is available to Virginia attorneys (must be in good standing), their agents/assistants, and pro hac vice attorneys.
Each account is for individual use only. Sharing of an account/login is a violation of the user agreement.Members of the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Bar Association and their staff
The service is free for attorneys and/or their agents that are members of the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Bar Association.
- To request access, please complete the OCRA Agreement for Local Users and return it to our office. See below for ways to return application.
Attorneys and their staff outside of Harrisonburg-Rockingham County
and pro hac vice attorneys
For attorneys, their agents/assistants outside of the Harrisonburg-Rockingham area and pro hac vice attorneys, the fee is $25 a month per a registered user.
- To request access, please complete the OCRA Agreement and return it to our office with payment. See below for ways to return application.
- Payment can be made by cash, check, money order or by credit card. Credit card transactions are subject to a 4% surcharge. Checks can be made payable to Clerk of Court.
Employees from Other Governmental Agencies - Exempt Users
Employees of governmental agencies are exempt from fees.
- To request access, please complete the OCRA Agreement for Exempt Users and return it to our office. See below for ways to return application.
Ways to Return an Application
- In person in the Clerk's Office within the Deed Room
- If payment is not required or is going to be paid by credit card over the phone, completed application(s) can be scanned and submitted online. Call us at 540-564-3126 or 540-564-3124 to pay over the phone.
- By mail, include payment if required.
- Mail to: Rockingham County Circuit Court, Attn: OCRA, 80 Court Square, Harrisonburg, VA 22802
All 3 of our courtrooms are equipped with the Nomad Digital AV Podium. The interactive technology with these podiums includes:
- Confidence Monitor: Duplicates any image that is being shown on the big screen. Presenters can remain confident in what is being seen by the audience while maintaining a natural, face-forward presentation.
- Document Camera: The 21st century version of the overhead projector…without the transparencies. The doc cam gives presenters the ability to display any type of non-digitized content in real-time, such as books, newspaper articles, 3D models, etc.
- Annotation including witness annotation: By using the touchscreen monitors, presenters or witnesses can draw on or highlight the image on the screen. Multiple colors can be used, if needed.
- Mounted Touch Screen Controller: The touch screen controller provides presenters with a user interface that allows them to easily control the AV podium.
- Blu-Ray Player: The Blu-ray player gives presenters the ability to play previously recorded content that is stored on CDs, DVDs, or Blu-ray discs.
- Personal Device Connections (BYOD): Hard-wired HDMI and VGA cables give presenters the ability to present multimedia content from their personal devices such as notebook computers, tablets and smart phones.
- Blank Image: The image on the big screen can be quickly blanked and restored as the confidence monitor stays active in cases where the visual aid needs to be prepared before it is presented.
If you are going to be using our courtroom and want to familiarize yourself with the technology offered with these podiums, please visit the Nomad AV Systems Online Training site for video guides based on the exact model of podiums that we have in the courtrooms.
Note About Legal Advice
**Court personnel are prohibited by law from giving legal advice, restating the law or recommending legal action. Questions regarding interpretation of the law should be directed to an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia.**
Physical & Mailing Address
Rockingham County Circuit Court
Attn: Criminal Division
80 Court Square
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
Monday – Friday, excluding holidays
8:30 AM - 4:30 PM